Sunday, November 18, 2012

Paleo Goodness

The crossfit/paleo challenge is coming down to the wire...Ty's team is just trailing behind mine and all I know is that I am dying to win this challenge. I can't let Ty's team beat my team again, especially if it means my team is in the running for some Crossfit gear. What I'd do for a crossfit shirt (I could always buy one, I know). Ty has a cool one from the last challenge, I'm determined to get the next one.

What comes to mind when you think paleo? Tell me you don't first think of energy drinks. If you do, then just stop reading now. Ty and I about died when we saw someone post on their food logs weird stuff they thought was paleo. Since when was an energy drink even good for you anyway?! To be on the paleo diet and use an energy drink as part of a recovery drink, seriously? Ok, enough of my ranting. It's not paleo, it's just processed garbage. Don't drink them.

What you should drink is water. For me, I do coconut water and/or kambucha especially since Vancouver water tastes like dirt. Ty is not so in love with coconut water, but to each his own. The first time we had one it smelled like poo, no joke. It was a monster to try to choke down. It's still a gross smelling drink to Ty, but myself on the other hand...I've been buying them by the case at the little Asian store in Vancouver. LOVE them!

And what should you eat? Oh we've got the answer for you. Paleo style anything. I'd suggest searching the world wide web for info on the paleo diet. Wouldn't hurt ya to know more about if you plan on getting started! We eat paleo 90% of the time I'd say. Those 10% of times we have our occasional upset stomach or headaches for those splurges. Those things in life are so worth it though! Here are our hot bods from the first challenge:

(Pictures are currently not available at this time due to some technical issue. Check back later!)

The most recent deliciousness we made was pulled pork over plantain mash. Good ish, no joke. Most of our recipes are stolen from some website or book, so credit to those fools makin' up all these recipes. We love them all, well most of them. Now it's your turn to test them out as we did and see what you think! Enjoy!

    Easy Crock Pot Pork Over Plantain Mash
     (Credit: paleomg)
  
Easy Crock Pot Pork:

    1-2lb pork loin, frozen
    1 yellow onion, cut it up
    2-3 cups beef broth (depending on the size of your pork)
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    Salt & pepper to taste

Plantain Mash:

    4 ripe plantains, peeled and sliced in half
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Pinch of salt
    3-4 tablespoons coconut milk

Don't freak out because this is so easy. You ready? Ok, throw that pork, the onions, beef broth, garlic and onion powders, and salt and pepper in a crock pot. Turn it on. Leave it on for 8-10 hours. Once done, shred it in the crock pot. Bomb!

Now throw the oil and sliced plantains on a pan on med heat. Sprinkle them with your cinnamon and salt. Cook until brown on each side. Throw them in a food processor/blender with the coconut milk.

Slop some of that on each plate, cover with the pork, and top it with sliced avocado if you want to get crazy.