Monday, January 21, 2013

For The Love Of...

Plungers. Plungers and crafts. Yes, you read that right. I'm not sure what I'd do without either. I won't let out who had to use it (mainly because I may embarrass myself if you found out it was me). Okay, no it wouldn't. I have had way too many incidents in public places that I thank the Lord when it actually happens in my own home! However, today reminded me of those funny little newlywed things that happen and there's no getting around it...especially if you only have one bathroom in the house. 
Thank goodness, neither of us care. What was awesome was when Ty was yelling at me from the other side of the door explaining how to use a plunger as though I'd never used one before. 
Can you picture that? I am still laughing.

Anyway, back to my love for crafts...

Well I said I wasn't going to do it. I told myself that Halloween and Christmas were going to be my main holidays to decorate for. But what do I go and do...I start crafting up Valentine's Day decor! I figured I could share it with you in case you had any interest in putting one together yourself. If you have most of the items laying around the house, it won't cost you anything at all. It cost me a whole 5 bucks for the wreath since everything else was tucked away in my craft bins. Again, thank goodness I take after my dad. Ya never know what you can use later!

Supplies:
1 wreath, your choice of size
Red & white felt
Piece of burlap
Wood quote (you can omit this if you don't want it)
Different shaped heart cookie cutters (or draw your own if you don't have them)
Fabric glue
Glue gun
Scissors

The supplies...
Depending on your artistic ability, either draw your own hearts on the felt or use cookie cutters as a stencil. It's up to you how big/little you want them. Then cut them out.


Overlap your white and red hearts and use your fabric glue to stick them together. If you prefer, you can just use one or the other color, add stitching around the outside, or come up with another fun way to display them on your wreath.

Once your hearts are glued together, place them on your wreath in the order and fashion you like them in. Initially I had thought I was going to hang the wood quote from the top so it would dangle, but I had a change in thought by the end of it.

Now this is where you need to decide if this is going to be permanent or not. My thought was that I could reuse the wreath at another time, so I barely glued them so they would not only come off easy but  they also wouldn't leave giant globs of glue on the wreath. Who knows, I may just keep it as is but if ever on a budget it's a good idea to have something to work with later down the road...right?

Now take your strip of burlap and tie it around your wreath. Either knot it at the top or make a nice bow, allowing the ends to hang down. I found two small scraps of burlap in my box so I ended up using the hot glue gun to put the two together, then tie them together.

Now either hot glue your wood quote on your wreath or use a piece of yarn,
hot glue it to the back side of the piece of wood, then tie it to the wreath.


Ty is big on the belief you should be doing Valentine's Day things all year 'round. Not just once a year. Hence all the little things he does. However, the decor only happens once a year, so I'm clearly taking advantage of crafting for that one!

Ty is thinking hard about what he has to say to you all, so prepare yourselves for tomorrow. We'll see what he comes up with...maybe just a workout and recipe or perhaps he spoil us with a special treat!