Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ski Patrol



 There's always the thought in the back of my head about that chair lift coming at me fast to swoop me up and rather than doing so, it knocks me down or I guess even knocks me out. Imagine the site of that. I also have this fear that somehow I'm going to end up falling off the chair. I'm not sure if I'm afraid the chair is going to randomly fall off the lift or that I happen to slide off, but either way I'm doing down. Neither of which would ever happen, I know, but nevertheless my mind thinks otherwise. Then there's the great thought at the top, right before I'm suppose to get off the lift, that I'm going to get stuck on it or just eat shit. At least the last thought could possibly happen. In fact, I'm sure it has happened when I tried to snowboard years ago. I've since decided skiing is more of my thing. I prefer to have each leg strapped in to a ski and not both onto one board. It's a control thing, I'm sure. Anyway, none of those things happened. Praise the Lord!



 However, what does happen is that I nearly pee myself at each of those thoughts. No joke. The bummer deal is that I have those thoughts way too often when I go skiing. By the end of the night I wasn't sure if it was real or not. In case you were wondering, it was a false alarm...maybe just a cold butt from a little snow that snuck its way down there. I imagine this sensation is what it's like for those who have had children, except unfortunately it tends to come true...the urge that is. If you're not following, go ask your mom what happens when a mother gets on a trampoline. Trust me, I've seen it happen.


 

Anyway, my dad treated my brother, Ty, and me to a night ski. Neither of the boys had ever skied and of course, they were quick to pick it up! I was super impressed how good they were by the end of the night. I'm pretty sure I heard "one more time" about 4 times before we had one last and final run. Best trip of the winter! We can thank my dad for pressuring those boys to get on skis...now all Ty wants to do is find a cheap pair of skis we can buy so we have our own!

To top it all off, we had to stop for food as I knew I'd die if I didn't have anything before we started skiing. Of all places we ended up at the Thriftway in Welches buying pulled pork from a guy selling it outside of the store. It didn't seem too sketchy, don't worry. Not only was that a good choice, but what I found was the jackpot in the store...Townshend's kombucha! You wouldn't believe that flavors they had. How I've never found these cute, delicious bottles around here I don't know but I plan on hunting them down. They're made locally which is awesome! If you ever come across them, pick one up and give it a try.


This is the spiced apple kava...bomb! Yes, I just said bomb.