Friday, May 10, 2013

Birthday Treat Week: Paleo Carrot Cake

Now this is the real deal...I'd even take is as far as saying it's better than Costco's carrot cake. If I 
knew what other restaurants carrot cake tasted like, I would bet that it would hang with others. 
That. Damn. Good.

I will say that I hate making cakes that require frosting. In fact, I hate doing layered cakes. I had 
high hopes for this thing to make it all cute like cupcake frosting designs...that was until I dropped 
the top layer of the cake which broke into a couple pieces. So instead of making it all cute and 
nice, I used up the frosting piecing it back together. Then I realized how crappy it looked so I 
attempted to throw together something on the top to hide the ugliness. Give me a little credit 
for trying, but never and I mean NEVER ask me to cake for any event. 
Cupcakes, sure. Cakes, absolutely not.
Now that we've got that straight, here's the recipe. Better luck to you and your cake abilities!



Paleo Carrot Cake
3 C almond flour
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 C grapeseed oil
1/2 C agave
5 eggs
3 C grated carrots
1 C raisins
1 C walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease two 9-inch cake pans with oil and dust with almond
flour. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. In a medium bowl, whisk together the 
oil, agave, and eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until thoroughly 
combined. Fold in the carrots, raisins, and walnuts. Split the batter into the two cake pans. 
Bake 30-35 minutes then let the cakes cool in the pans for 1 hour.

Paleo Coconut Frosting
1 C coconut milk
1 C agave
pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
1 tbsp water
1 1/4 C coconut oil, melted over very low heat

In a medium pan, bring the milk, agave, and salt to a boil. Whisk the ingredients together then 
decrease the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, dissolve the arrowroot powder in water to make a paste. Raise the heat to med-high and add the arrowroot 
paste to the coconut mixture until it thickens (about 1 min). Remove the pan from the heat and gradually blend in the coconut oil with a handheld mixer until smooth. Place in the freezer until 
the frosting solidifies and turns an opaque white. Remove from the freezer and whip with a 
mixer until thick and fluffy. Can be stored in a Mason jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Frost your cake as you wish...and don't go breaking parts of the cake. It makes for a giant
mess and then of course, a difficult time frosting the dumb thing! All the work
and mistakes I made were so totally worth it. The flavor & texture makes
for heaven in my mouth!



Victoria, BC, we'll see you in a few. Can't wait to explore your beauty!

♡The Stanleys