Monday, June 3, 2013

Grain Free Doggies!

I think I turned into the neighborhood dog lady. I just delivered dog treats to neighbors, sent
them to Southern Oregon, and gave some to Jack & Aubry's dog. I may have had an
overkill with dog treats. However, I made friends with all of them so I'm thinking
they'll never bark at me again.

I did spend more time making dog treats than I ever have making sugar cookies. In fact, I've 
never liked making sugar cookies because they take so long for me to make. I seem to be 
able to bake anything else just fine but when it comes to cut out type cookies, forget it. 
Why I spent all that time doing it for a dog I have no idea! What I do know is that 
our pups should have the opportunity to eat whole foods just like we do, so
why not put them in fun shapes?

These special dog treats were made for my best bud's dog, Rudy. He is just the cutest! That
guy is sprouting to be a nice looking young man. I felt the need to make sure he was 
getting some grain free/nearly all-paleo treats for that growing body, so here ya go!




1 sweet potato, microwaved and then peeled
1 egg
1/4 C coconut milk
1/2 C peanut butter
2 tbsp flax meal (mixed with 2-3 tbsp water)
1/2 C coconut flour

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Mash your sweet potato in a bowl, then combine all the other ingredients with the mash.
If you want to make shapes out of the treats you'll have to add more coconut flour
or else they'll stick to everything. I did half my batch of the mix more dry (with
more flour) to make the shapes, then added some more milk into the batter
to make biscuit-like treats that were more moist. Cook for 15-20 min.
Pull out of the oven and let cool. Not as appetizing treats for us,
but good thing is that if you ever did get in a crunch
you could always snack on one oddly enough!


Why they're good for your dog...

*Sweet potatoes: high source of fiber. Helps them poo. We all like that, right?

*Eggs: good source of protein. We need protein, so do they.

*Coconut milk/flour: helps with various skin conditions to keep their coat nice and shiny!

*Peanut butter: only non-paleo item, but close enough. This is of course, a good source of fat.

*Flax: again, more fiber=more poo. Plus you get the good omega-3 fatty acids for skin & coat.

Hope your dog enjoys them...
and if you're in a pinch, you can always eat them too!

♡The Stanleys and our dog friends