Friday, June 21, 2013

Paleo Hawaiian Coleslaw + Papa Cos' is Crossfitting

You know what's pretty dang awesome? My dad started Crossfit. You have to realize how big of 
a deal it is...this guy has always stayed fit by being super active around the house or at the ball 
field. He has never really been the exercising type. That was never his thing. Now, he's a 
badass. He bikes to and from the gym, he Crossfits, and then he goes home and coaches 
my mom in their own home. I think that makes my mom pretty awesome too.
You all have no excuses for any sort of fitness...Dad even jumped on the
CF bandwagon and that's huge! We're so proud of him and Mom too!!

I love that it's increased our phone calls each week so I can hear all the lifts he's learning and that 
he's improved his number of consecutive double unders (we got him a speed rope for Father's 
Day). I love when he tells me how CF beats the crap out of him...it's funny, partly because I so 
get when he says I went from one round doing 12 push ups in 20 seconds to 3 push ups in 
20 seconds. Trust me, we have all been there on Tabata when you literally CAN'T push 
your body off the ground on the last few rounds. It's silly. And it makes me laugh
as I'm working out.

If only we had a nice picture of Dad to give you all proof of "COS" getting after those
Crossfit workouts. You'll just have to take our word for it for now. We will say that we're
looking forward to see how they look in 6-7 weeks when we get back!
Keep it up Mom & Dad!

Until then, here's your side dish I promised for that paleo BBQ this weekend. 
Either way, you can still make the 007 turkey burgers posted a couple days ago along 
with this coleslaw. It's a nice combo, but even more so when you have this coleslaw 
with some yummy pulled pork as we did the other night with Nick & Pennie.
Their secret for the pulled pork is the rub from Winco...trust me, the pulled
pork was to die for!

What you'll need:

1 bag premixed coleslaw bag
1/3 red cabbage, chopped
2 mangos sliced, pineapple bites, or 2 apples chopped
1 C chopped macadamia nuts
1/2 C raisins
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
2/3 C coconut milk (light or regular is fine)
1/4 C olive oil
1 tbsp celery seed
salt & pepper to taste

Mix the premixed coleslaw, red cabbage, your choice of chopped fruit, mac nuts, and raisins in
a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients
to your large bowl and toss well until covered. Let it sit overnight as the flavor gets so
much better with a night's rest!


Happy BBQ weekend...bring on that sun!

♥The Stanleys