Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Laundry Detergent For Days

Can I just tell you guys that I had a patient the other day who lived in South Africa for part of 
his life. And oh my heaven was it ever an awesome conversation. His blood pressure went through 
the roof and I'm pretty sure I was his nurse on crack for a minute with how excited I got. 
It got me waaayy excited to go back! Obviously. I wouldn't have told you this if it didn't. I knew
part of my heart was left there while I took some of it with me 5 years ago. Now it means I've
got to find a way to get us there so Ty can be amazed by S.A.
But until then, this is what I did the other day...

I made laundry detergent the other night. Ya I know, not as exciting as South Africa. Definitely 
didn't get my heart racing, but got me addicted to the idea of making it all the time. However, 
I am impressed with idea of making all natural detergent, amazed by my mom 
who made it all the time and saved a ton of money over the years, and that 
I've got some ready to use! And yes, I know this isn't something new and that's
it's been out there but I'm finally jumping on this bandwagon!

Of course it's got to be the all natural version because I am on that all natural kick. Bummer deal 
is that I couldn't find the all natural bar of soap I was looking for, so instead I got stuck with 
what's shown below. But on the same 'all natural' idea...I still haven't touched my hair with any 
sort of straightener, curler, or dryer in 10 weeks. That's got to be some sort of 
record for most of us, right?

Ingredients
1 box borax
1 box A&H super washing soda
1 bar all natural soap (Dr. Bronners preferred) or this Felsnaptha bar
1-5 gallon bucket with a lid
5-1 gallon air tight containers (milk jugs work)



Step 1
Buy 1 box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, Borax, & an all natural bar of soap.
Try to find Dr. Bronner's. It's amazing and you can get scented ones if you want!


Step 2
Grate your soap with a cheese grater.



Step 3
Place the grated pieces into 4 cups of heating water. Your pan needs to be quite large
to hold all the liquid. Melt down the grated soap until there are no chunks in the water.


Step 4
While the soap is melting, get out your 5 gallon bucket and fill it 2/3 of the way full
with hot water. Once the soap water is ready, dump it into your 5 gallon bucket
and stir. Then add 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of arm & hammer to the mixture.
Stir again. Cover with your lid for 24 hours.

Step 5
After 24 hours, use a funnel and pour your detergent into old milk jugs (we don't drink 
milk so instead we bought the gallon water jugs for 80 cents and filled those)
Store them in your laundry room for the next load of laundry!

*Side note: the detergent can be all sorts of textures from thin to chunky. It's all still
the same stuff. I read that it can set different over the 24 hour timeframe.

I'm convinced everybody needs to make their own laundry detergent. In fact, I feel like I've been 
going around selling the idea to people as weird as it sounds. Sometimes I get obsessed 
with things, jump on the bandwagon, and then push people to do it. Sorry ahead of time. But 
really, you should make laundry detergent. I've read article after article about it, it's the easiest thing 
to do, takes very little time, and my favorite thing is that it saves half the cost if not more 
on laundry detergent. It makes more than you'd even buy from the giant Costco size containers!

Don't even think twice, just make it. You've already wasted your time reading this when 
you could've been whipping up detergent, so get after it already!

♥The Stanleys