Friday, May 30, 2014

Crispy 'Tains

I have always loved plantain mash with some pulled pork. Way to stupid-easy to make. Way to good to not eat. After making it time and time again, I came to love plantains in another form but this time by my mistake. It's called the nursing brain. Seriously. You walk into a room and forget why you even went in there. Or you leave the room and forget to go back to what you were suppose to. And then there's times where I stop mid-sentence and forget what I'm even talking about. It's bad. Real bad sometimes. And awful when it happens while you're with someone you don't even know because they think you're an idiot. Then I pray I never have to see them again.

Anyway, I've decided I'm hooked on some of these plantain crispies! It just so happened that one afternoon I threw these on a frying pan, left the kitchen, and forgot I was cooking them. I kept knitting away out front in the sun, enjoying the afternoon until I had to come inside for a minute. I realized it smelled like a carnival and remembered the frying pan. The pan, well it was literally frying the you know what out of the plantains. After they cooled, they were nice and crispy. And after they were crispy I thought I doubt I can use these for some mash so why not eat one. And you'd think I came up with an invention of some sort for a minute. It was plantain heaven! Not only can they be served with dinner, but I've decided they're an even better snack with some sprinkles of cinnamon and salt!


Crispy 'Tains
3 plantains, sliced then halved
coconut oil, enough to have a layer on your pan for frying
dashes of salt
dashes of cinnamon

Let your 'tains fry on a med-high heat for 5-10 minutes so the oil soaks into them while they begin to cook. Then let them fry baby fry on that pan until they are nice and crispy (you may have to add oil if they take a while to cook). It's as simple as letting them go while you go knit or find some project to finish while they cook themselves crispy. Let them cool so you don't burn the crap out of your mouth and enjoy!

Mistakes happen for a reason. Glad this mistake happened.