Monday, September 1, 2014

Safety First

September is National Preparedness Month. Who knew?

You'd think as a nurse I'd be fully prepared for an emergency or some sort of first aid situation. Guess what? I totally wasn't as of anytime before this last weekend. Sure, I had some stuff but definitely not prepared for specific adult emergencies and/or a child's illness. I know I don't have kids but in case you haven't been around long, my niece and nephew, friend's kids, and now our new neighbors children are often around. So guess who is more than prepared? That's right, us Stanleys. Go ahead and have a heart attack old man or skim your knee on our curb little boy...we're ready for ya!

The main point of this post isn't to share with you that I'm part idiot for never being prepared for various situations, but to make sure you're prepared and/or that you're supply kits are not outdated (especially those medications). So it's your turn...if you don't have a first aid kit in your home and in your car, it's time to fix that. And if you do have one, then put in a little time to make sure you have all the right supplies and that nothing is out of date.

Safety first yo. For you, for your kids, for your friends and family, and for your neighborhood. 
Be first aid ready!


Basic First Aid Supplies
(per the Red Cross)

2 absorbent compress dressings (5x9in)
25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
1 adhesive cloth tape
5 antibiotic ointment packets or 1 tube
5 antiseptic wipe packets
2 packets of aspirin or 1 small bottle (81mg)
1 blanket (space blanket)
1 breathing barrier (we purchased here)
1 instant cold compress
2 pair of nonlatex gloves
2 hydrocortisone ointment packets or 1 tube
1 pair scissors
1 roller bandage
5 sterile gauze pads (3x3in)
5 sterile gauze pads (4x4in)
1 oral thermometer
1 pair tweezers
1 list of emergency contact phone numbers
1 first aid instruction booklet

Other Suggested Items
1 small bottle acetaminophen (325mg)
1 small bottle ibuprofen (200mg)
1 small liquid bottle of children's tylenol
hydrogen peroxide
calamine lotion
flashlight and extra batteries
a splint
a blanket for your car

Get yourself an inexpensive container that will hold all the supplies instead of having lots of
loose items in your bathroom cupboards. The one below is from WalMart (7.2oz)

I purchased one large size container of "first aid" items that were already prepackaged. I also added many other items for my own personal preferences. All of those items mixed together ended up in the container pictured above. In addition, I purchased a small prepackaged first aid kit, a small box of latex gloves, and a CPR barrier mask that I put in my car. Needless to say, I may have gone a little overboard. I am officially PREPARED to say the least! Join me in celebrating national preparedness month by stocking up on those first aid supplies...and if you have more energy, go for the gold and prepare for other types of emergencies. Doesn't hurt, right?

Happy preparing!

♥The Stanleys