Sunday, March 15, 2015

Your Tuesday Meal: The St. Patty's Day Paleo Menu

Breakfast. I love that word. I also love all the food that comes with it. Then again, I love lunch and dinner too because those also entail food. But nothing compares to a big yummy breakfast that fills you for what seems like days. Growing up my dad made legit breakfasts...not like just here and there. More like we had them all the time. If you wanted cheesy eggs, toast, waffles, etc. he was all over it. To this day, that guy will get up every morning and make his gluten free pancakes, eggs, bacon, coffee, and who knows...maybe even serve himself a bowl of gluten free cereal shortly after. We clearly didn't mess around with letting ourselves go hungry in the mornings. I think they say breakfast is the most important meal and we made sure to live up the "importance."

So what am I currently....still stuffed from 8:30 this morning. Yes, it's 3pm and I probably didn't need to have that little snack a bit ago because why would if I'm not hungry? I did it anyway though.. I was seriously so uncomfortable in the church pews this morning after our Sunday Stanley meal (usually it's dinner, but today we mixed it up). I felt like my belly wouldn't allow me to sit up straight, yet it wouldn't let me lean forward because the food baby had no place to go. Sometimes I don't know when to stop, so I pay the price and that's ok. I'll say I'll learn one of these days, but it's yet to happen. So I'll say it again...one day I'll learn to not stuff myself....we'll see what happens.

Anyway, we bribed the family with 
1) food, 
2) coffee, and 
3) a fire...

they fell for it and all showed up this morning for a St. Patty's day themed breakfast. We only followed through with the first two because we ran out of time to make the fire before we all headed off for church. Good thing they love food and drinks as much as we do. Although I doubt they would've turned us down or so I like to think that. But if I could ever get to the point, I'd tell you what we ate and what you all need to make for either breakfast or dinner on Tuesday. So on that note, I must or else who knows what I'll come up with to tell you.

♣St. Patrick's Day Paleo Menu♣

Corned Beef Sweet Potato Hash
Irish Soda Bread
Green Smoothie
Fruit Cups
Cucumber Mint Water
Coffee

The Details...

Corned Beef Sweet Potato Hash
serves 4 
(otherwise double the recipe)
1.5-2lbs corned beef (precooked, uncured, nitrate free at Trader Joe's!)
6 eggs
4 sweet potatoes or yams, mini cubes
1 monster onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
5 dashes of thyme
dash of salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil

Just like our Easy E Skillet, but with corned beef instead of ham and add onion. And just like the Easy E, it's easy. So heat your oil on a pan and add the sweet potatoes, jalapeno, and onions. Stir occasionally. Put the oven on broil. While those are cooking, microwave the corned beef as directed. Once the meat is done, shred it and put it in with your mostly cooked veggies. Add the spices and cook until potatoes are soft. Make little wells and crack your eggs into each well. Let them fry for 1 minute or less, poke each one once or twice with a fork, then add your entire pan to the oven. Cook until the eggs are cooked through or just barely runny (to your liking).

 And don't forget to grab yourself some of  TJ's sauerkraut and Dijon mustard...both of which were never a part of my diet until today. People change and I just made some adjustments to add this in my life.

I know nothing about irish soda bread to be honest. Never had it, even when I was in Ireland. But what I now know about it in this version...it takes the gold. Don't waste your time with any gluten free  version...go straight paleo on this one!


Green Smoothies
(makes approx. 4 smoothies)
3 medium bananas, frozen and chopped
3 C fresh spinach
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder OR 2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 drop of peppermint extract (DO NOT overdo it, trust me)
1 C unsweetened almond milk (add more if it needs more liquid)
1-2 tbsp caco nibs or dark chocolate chips, optional
7-8 ice cubes
fun straws for good measure

Place all ingredients into your blender and give it a go. Add more liquid if need be, toss another banana or spinach in if you want to thicken it a bit, or add more chocolate if you want it extra chocolaty.


Mini Fruit Cups
(serves 4)
4 kiwis, peeled & each cut into 4 slices
blackberries

No brains necessary here. Serve your sliced kiwis in a mini serving dish, place a blackberry in the center and if you have room add more. Otherwise serve some blackberries in a separate bowl.


Cucumber Mint Water
1 water pitcher
6-8 mint leaves
half an English cucumber, cut into slices
ice

Again, no brains necessary but I highly suggest doing it the night before or the morning of because the flavor comes out after it's been sitting in the water for longer than a few minutes. Funny how that works, right? Put your water in your pitcher, add your ingredients, and boom you have flavored water. Stupid easy.